Monday, August 2, 2010

Remain Aware That The World Is Watching You

It's just a harmless comment, and it's my Facebook or Twitter account, so why can't I express my private opinions about my company, my boss, my clients or competing businesses?

Because you're not talking to your friends when you're on social media, you're talking to the world.

Surprised? Well, you shouldn't be.

But, you say, I use my privacy settings. My friends share my views. It's no different than sitting at a dinner party and conversing with close friends.

Wrong.

Savvy business people know that posting on social media is akin to being at a big, big party.

You know your host and some of the people there well. But you certainly can't say that you're close to everyone in the room. Why, you might not even know some of the people or be aware that you are linked to them through mutual friends.

Ask yourself:

Would you view everyone at the party as a confidant?

Which of the many partygoers knows your clients or customers?

Do you know all of the partygoers' friends and associates? Are they all your confidants?

Who might pass along your comment to others in the room?

Who might recall your comment later and share it with others after the party is over?

It's not like you're whispering into your best friend's ear with a request to keep your comment confidential.

You're essentially using a loudspeaker when you post on social media.

An increasing number of companies monitor what's said about them on the Web.

What if your clients or customers just happen to come across something you've posted?

Unfortunately, social media is a tailor-made outlet for letting your guard down as you chat away. And it's a danger zone for a lot of people who just don't get that “just because you think it, doesn't mean it has to be said out loud.”

Think before you post. And proceed with caution. Your career or your business may depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment